This plan covers the region's "coastal marine area", which is the area from mean high water springs to the 12 nautical mile (22.2 km) limit of New Zealand's territorial sea. The purpose of the Regional Coastal Plan is to assist the Northland Regional Council, in conjunction with the Minister of Conservation, to promote the sustainable management of resources in the coastal marine area.
(Scroll to the bottom of this page to download the plan. Rules are in the Part I - Definitions section).
What activities does the plan cover?
The Regional Coastal Plan for Northland manages the following activities:
- Structures (e.g. wharves and boat ramps)
- Reclamation and impoundment
- Discharges to water
- Moorings and Marinas
It does not cover fisheries management. This is dealt with separately by the Ministry of Fisheries.
Status of the plan
The Regional Coastal Plan for Northland was publicly notified in December 1994. The plan was made operative on 1 July 2004.
Statutory Acknowledgements in Northland
Changes to the plan
There are currently no plan changes in process. However a new combined regional plan is being developed – for more information go to www.nrc.govt.nz/newregionalplan
All plan changes to the Regional Coastal Plan:
|Plan Change||Operative date|
|Plan change 1 (Moorings and marinas)||1 August 2014|
|Plan change 2 (Whangarei Harbour)||30 July 2010|
|Plan change 3 (Mangroves)||30 July 2010|
|Plan change 4 (Aquaculture)||9 May 2016|
The Cross-river Coastal Marine Area Boundary
The cross-river boundary of the Coastal Marine Area on Northland’s rivers have been agreed on by the relevant district council, the Department of Conservation and the Northland Regional Council.
- Whangarei District River Mouth Boundaries.pdf (520 KB)
- Kaipara District River Mouth Boundaries.pdf (437 KB)
- Far North District River Mouth Boundaries.pdf (1.9 MB)
Why would you use the plan?
The rules in the plan apply different levels of regulation to all activities relating to Northland's coastal marine area. Many activities with minor effects are permitted. However, others require a resource consent or are prohibited. If you are involved in any use or development in the coastal marine area or have concerns about this type of activity, you need to know what the rules are.
Regional Coastal Plan Maps
The Regional Coastal Plan maps can be viewed as pdf files.
Get your copy
Contact any regional council office to order a Memory Stick copy ($10.00 including GST) of the Regional Coastal Plan for Northland.
You can view and download a copy of the Regional Coastal Plan from this website by clicking on the PDF file links below.
- Regional Coastal Plan - Part I - Definitions.pdf (2973 KB)
- Regional Coastal Plan - Schedules.pdf (815 KB)
- Regional Coastal Plan - Appendix 1 - Kaipara District.pdf (555 KB)
- Regional Coastal Plan - Appendix 1 - Whangarei District.pdf (596 KB)
- Regional Coastal Plan - Appendix 1 - Far North District.pdf (2301 KB)
- Regional Coastal Plan - Appendix 2 - End.pdf (1973 KB)