Your district councils

There are two kinds of local government councils in New Zealand - the regional authority (regional council) and the territorial authority (district council).  Each of these has different responsibilities.

Boundary map

Find the boundaries for Northland's district councils using our online Property and Boundaries map 

If you're looking for information about any of the following services, contact your district council.

District councils in Northland are responsible for services such as:

  • animal control
  • building and resource consents processing
  • cemeteries
  • city redevelopment
  • dog registrations
  • drinking water supply/town water supply
  • food premises, liquor licensing and health inspection
  • fresh water supply
  • libraries
  • LIMs / PIMs
  • noise control
  • parking control
  • parks, reserves and leisure facilities
  • plastics disposal
  • rates collection
  • recycling bins
  • roads, roadworks and street lighting, control of land subdivision
  • rubbish collection and disposal, litter control
  • sewage treatment

Some services and functions are carried out by both types of authority:

  • elections and public meetings
  • local bylaw administration

Find out more about what the regional council does

Contact your district council

Far North District Council logo.

Far North District Council

Postal address:
Private Bag 752
Kaikohe 0440

0800 920 029

[email protected]


Kaipara District Council logo.

Kaipara District Council

Postal address:
Private Bag 1001
Dargaville 0340

0800 727 059

[email protected]



Whangarei District Council logo.

Whangarei District Council

Postal address:
Private Bag 9023
Whangārei Mail Centre
Whangārei 0148

0800 932 463

[email protected]