· Avoid remedy or mitigate the adverse effects on people and the wider environment arising from the storage, use, transportation and disposal of hazardous substances.
· Avoid, remedy or mitigate the adverse effects of the risks to people and the wider environment from existing contaminated sites.
Pressures and state
· There are many industries using waste hazardous substances throughout the region particularly fuels, herbicides and pesticides.
· The types of waste hazardous substances requiring disposal in the region.
· Incidents involving waste hazardous substances, about 70 per year, are mostly fuel spills.
· Increasing awareness of the effects of the inappropriate use and disposal, of hazardous substances.
· The volumes of hazardous substances requiring disposal are not large and are slowly decreasing.
· Inspections of workplaces using and storing waste hazardous substances.
· Providing a public drop-off and collection service for waste hazardous substances and carrying out safe and correct storage and disposal.
· Ongoing monitoring and remediation of significant contaminated sites as required.
Areas for improvement
· Work towards the targets of the New Zealand Waste Strategy, including upgrading the contaminated sites database for the region.