How to buy, sell, transfer or rent a mooring

In most of Northland's harbours, the demand for moorings continues to be high. Some of the designated mooring areas are at full capacity. However, there are always a number of moorings within these areas that are not occupied by vessels most of the time. These vacant moorings can and should be rented out.

The council actively encourages owners to sell their moorings if they don’t have a genuine need for them, or the moorings are not being used.

Check the following places for moorings advertised for sale:

It is strongly recommended that you contact the council's maritime team to check the mooring’s permit conditions and service history before agreeing to purchase.

A transfer form must be completed, then processed by the regional council. Please note, it isn’t possible to download this form, as it’s specific to each mooring licence. Forms and fees are available on request from the maritime team.

Contact the maritime team on 0800 002 004 to discuss transferring your mooring.

Please note the following conditions:

  • The mooring will not be transferred unless it has a current mooring inspection certificate, or the purchaser states (in writing) that arrangements have been made for the mooring to be lifted and inspected by a council-approved mooring contractor.
  • The new owner must check what size vessel the mooring is permitted and approved for before purchasing. This is important as moorings have a defined vessel size associated with the consent, and larger vessels are not allowed on the mooring.
  • If the Mooring License and/or Coastal Permit are held by a number of parties, written approval from all parties who jointly hold the Mooring License and/or Coastal Permit is required.
  • A transfer of ownership is not complete until the transfer fee is paid and all registered mooring owners (if more than one person) have signed this transfer notice. Until a transfer is complete, the existing mooring owner(s) is fully responsible for all conditions and obligations of the Mooring License and Coastal Permit, including payment of all due charges.

Owners currently list their moorings for sale or rent in the classified section of local newspapers, on Trade Me, and on the noticeboards of local boating clubs.

The council offers a free online service where mooring owners can list moorings for sale or rent.

Once the mooring has been rented, you must advise us, and give us details of the vessel that will be using the mooring. The person renting the mooring must also ensure the size and design of the mooring is sufficient to cope with the vessel they intend to place on it. Their vessel must not exceed the permitted length of vessel for that mooring.

If there is any uncertainty, please seek advice from the maritime department or a council-approved mooring contractor.

After you complete the form, the moorings team will enter the details on the website at their earliest opportunity.

If you need help completing the form, please contact our moorings team on 0800 002 004 or email [email protected]

If you have rented out your mooring, you must notify us either in writing or by email with the vessel owner(s) contact details and vessel details. 

If you are going to sell your mooring, you must notify us and we will either post or email a transfer of mooring ownership form to you. This form must be completed by both the owner and purchaser, then sent to us with the transfer fee. The transfer will not be processed and registered in the new owner(s) name until this has been completed.

Moorings available for sale or rent are listed in alphabetical order by their location. Please contact the owner directly with any queries.

If you're interested in a marina berth, you’ll need to contact a marina directly.

Our Northland regional maritime map provides information on moorings, marine management areas and marine pollution regulations.