In 2012 we overhauled our economic development delivery agency to create a new council-controlled agency, Northland Inc.
Northland Inc Ltd is Northland's economic development agency. It is a Council Controlled Organisation (CCO) of the Northland Regional Council and a limited liability company.
Northland Inc.’s work is organised around five work programmes:
- business innovation and growth
- investment and infrastructure
- Māori economic development
- regional promotion and tourism, and
- the Tai Tokerau Northland Economic Action Plan.
Northland Inc Annual Reports
- Northland Inc Limited Annual Report to June 2020 (PDF, 3.3MB)
- Northland Inc Limited Annual Report to June 2019 (PDF, 1.5MB)
- Northland Inc Limited Annual Report to June 2018 (PDF, 3.0MB)
- Northland Inc Limited Annual Report to June 2017 (PDF, 3.6MB)
- Northland Inc Limited Annual Report to June 2016 (PDF, 7.5MB)
- Northland Inc Limited Annual Report to June 2015 (PDF, 10.2MB)
- Northland Inc Limited Annual Report to June 2014 (PDF, 4.9MB)
To find out more about Northland Inc, visit: www.northlandnz.com
Review of Economic Development Arrangements in Northland
In 2017 the four Northland councils undertook a joint review of their economic development activities, including tourism and destination marketing services. This review, prepared by MartinJenkins, was done to ensure compliance with the requirements of section 17A of the Local Government Act 2002. A section 17A review must consider three elements: how a service is governed; how it is funded; and how it is delivered. The review involved documentation appraisal, interviews with a wide range of parties in the public and private sector, and analysis of findings, including comparison with economic development activities undertaken by councils elsewhere in New Zealand.
The review found that a large range of economic development activities are being delivered in Northland, are reaching a large range of organisations, are consistent with identified opportunities and needs facing the region, and generally supported by evidence. There were a number of opportunities for improvement identified, including the need for greater project prioritisation, improved governance of Northland Inc. and refinements to the operation of the Investment and Growth Reserve.
The full and summary reports are available to download below.
Northland Regional Update - Newsletter
Read the newsletters from Northland Inc for regional updates.