In 2012 we overhauled our economic development delivery agency to create a new council-controlled agency, Northland Inc.
Northland Inc Ltd is Northland's economic development agency. It is a Council Controlled Organisation (CCO) and a limited liability company. Until 1 July 2021 it was 100% owned by NRC. From 1 July 2021 it is jointly and equally owned by NRC and Kaipara and Far North district councils.
Northland Inc.’s work is organised around three work programmes:
- regional investment, including business innovation and growth and implementation of the Tai Tokerau Northland Economic Action Plan.
- destination management and marketing, and
- advocacy and profile for Tai Tokerau economic development.
Northland Inc - Statement of Intents
- Northland Inc - SOI 2023/24-2025/26 (PDF 503 KB)
- Northland Inc - SOI 2022-2025 (PDF 462 KB)
- Northland Inc - SOI 2021-2024 (PDF 1 MB)
- Northland Inc - SOI 2020-2023 (PDF 1.93 MB)
- Northland Inc - SOI 2019-2022 (PDF 924 KB)
- Northland Inc - SOI 2018-2021 (PDF 662 KB)
- Northland Inc - SOI 2017-2020 (PDF 838 KB)
Northland Inc - Annual Reports
- Northland Inc - Annual Report to June 2023 (PDF 1.76 MB)
- Northland Inc - Annual Report to June 2022 (PDF 2.7 MB)
- Northland Inc - Annual Report to June 2021 (PDF 2.08 MB)
- Northland Inc - Annual Report to June 2020 (PDF 3.26 MB)
- Northland Inc - Annual Report to June 2019 (PDF 1.53 MB)
- Northland Inc - Annual Report to June 2018 (PDF 2.85 MB)
- Northland Inc - Annual Report to June 2017 (PDF 3.55 MB)
Review of Economic Development Arrangements in Northland
In 2017 the four Northland councils undertook a joint review of their economic development activities, including tourism and destination marketing services. This review, prepared by MartinJenkins, was done to ensure compliance with the requirements of section 17A of the Local Government Act 2002. A section 17A review must consider three elements: how a service is governed; how it is funded; and how it is delivered. The review involved documentation appraisal, interviews with a wide range of parties in the public and private sector, and analysis of findings, including comparison with economic development activities undertaken by councils elsewhere in New Zealand.
The review found that a large range of economic development activities are being delivered in Northland, are reaching a large range of organisations, are consistent with identified opportunities and needs facing the region, and generally supported by evidence. There were a number of opportunities for improvement identified, including the need for greater project prioritisation, improved governance of Northland Inc. and refinements to the operation of the Investment and Growth Reserve.
The full and summary reports are available to download below.
Northland Regional Update - Newsletter
Read the newsletters from Northland Inc for regional updates.