These maps are copies of hard copy data first published by the Department of Lands and Survey in 1988 as part of the New Zealand Land Inventory NZMS 290 Series.
While published at a scale of 1:100,000, the rock type maps were compiled from 1:50,000 data and can be safely enlarged to those scales.
Rock type maps are intended to help planners and land users to:
- identify the characteristics of near surface rock types;
- recognise areas of existing and potential mineral resources; and
- become aware of geological hazards.
Should users have any questions in respect of this data please contact the regional council's Land Management Team.
Email: [email protected]
Freephone: 0800 002 004
Should council officers not be able to assist, they will forward your enquiry to the appropriate people in GNS Science for rock types and geology, or Landcare Research for soils information.
- Rock Types - Ahipara-Herekino.pdf (PDF 951 KB)
- Rock Types - Bay of Islands.pdf (PDF 983 KB)
- Rock Types - Hukerenui-Whangarei.pdf (PDF 1.48 MB)
- Rock Types - Kaitaia-Rawene.pdf (PDF 1.39 MB)
- Rock Types - Mangakahia-Dargaville.pdf (PDF 1.55 MB)
- Rock Types - Mangawhai-Warkworth.pdf (PDF 1.23 MB)
- Rock Types - Maungaturoto-Kaipara.pdf (PDF 1.39 MB)
- Rock Types - North Cape-Houhora.pdf (PDF 988 KB)
- Rock Types - Ruawai-Rototuna.pdf (PDF 1.04 MB)
- Rock Types - Waipoua-Aranga.pdf (PDF 1.17 MB)
- Rock Types - Whangaroa-Kaikohe.pdf (PDF 1.31 MB)