- Anchor carefully and ensure your boat doesn’t drag or swing around and damage other craft. Check your swing room is sufficient for the anchor scope (length of anchor wrap).
- Ensure you have enough anchor line out to cover the tidal range and stream. It is recommended to use at least three to five times the depth in calm conditions – additional length will be necessary in higher winds.
- Choose an anchorage clear of busy channels, marina and bay entrances, and mooring fields.
- Check your chart for prohibited anchorages and avoid areas of underwater cables.
- Visibly display your contact name and phone number/email address in case of emergency.