Jet skis, kayaks and paddleboards
If you own and/or use a jet ski in Northland, there are some things you need to know. This includes the need to register your jet ski, and the rules you must stick to when operating a jet ski. This is to keep yourself and others safe on the water. For more information, visit our key bylaws for jet skis page.
Kayaks and paddleboards
If you're heading out in a kayak or on a paddleboard, here are some guidelines to help you stay safe on the water.
- Learn the basics in flat, calm water.
- Keep a safe distance from swimmers.
- Check the weather before you go out and be wary of offshore winds.
- Tell someone where you’re going and when you’ll be back.
- Wear a lifejacket.
- Be seen. Wear or display something brightly coloured during the day.
- At night, display an all-round white light or have ready a bright torch so you can be seen.
- Take at least two forms of communication with you (for example, a cellphone or VHF radio in a dry bag).
- For any board sport: if a lifejacket is not worn, a wetsuit or tether/leash appropriate to the conditions must be worn.