Agrichemical collection

Have you got old and banned agricultural chemicals cluttering up your shed?

Chemical collection and disposal service

You can help reduce the amount of certain dangerous chemicals that may be a hazard in rural areas by delivering them to an approved collection point or ringing us to assist in their safe, responsible disposal.

Please note that this service is not intended to subsidise the disposal of chemicals for commercial users. The service isf funded by and intended for the benefit of the ratepayers of Northland. Commercial users can contact council to find out about options for the disposal or treatment of their hazardous wastes.

There is a household hazardous waste drop-off point at the ReSort Resource Recovery Park in Kioreroa Road, Whangārei.

What can I get rid of?

We will accept small to medium quantities (individual containers up to a total of 25kg or 25 litres) of the following:

  • Legacy agrichemicals, such as dieldrin, lindane, DDT, 2,4,5-T and 2,4-D
  • Agricultural chemicals, garden sprays and powders
  • Animal remedies
  • Pool chemicals
  • Corrosive and flammable household products

We do not collect used paint, old paint tins or waste oil - take these to your transfer station.

Empty containers not eligible for the Agrecovery recycling programme must be triple rinsed before they can be disposed of. See Farm Plastic Wastes

The collection does NOT cover:

  • Unlabelled containers or unknown substances
  • Chemicals stored in leaking or damaged containers
  • Chemicals covered by the Agrecovery Programme (see:
  • Explosives other than boat flares (e.g. Gelignite, detonators and ammunition)
  • Infectious substances
  • Radioactive wastes (fire alarms can be placed into general household waste)
  • Waste oil
  • Paint
  • Vehicle batteries (sell these to your local scrap metal dealer)
  • General household or farm wastes
  • Commercial hazardous waste (waste generated by any process or  undertaking for-gain)
  • Vertebrate Toxic Agents must be handed directly to regional council staff and not left at the drop-off.

If you're unsure of what you're allowed to keep, a list of all registered chemicals can be found at:

Tips for transporting hazardous substances

  • Make sure all containers are securely packaged so they can't leak or give off fumes
  • Keep flammable and reactive materials separate from each other and other chemicals
  • Line the vehicle with plastic sheeting to contain any spillages
  • Put hazardous wastes in the boot or tray of your vehicle, or use a trailer
  • Do not carry hazardous wastes in the cab with you
  • Keep the load dry and avoid wet weather conditions.

Safety checklist

  • NEVER put hazardous substances into food or drink containers.
  • Check the labels on containers and follow any handling instructions. Use protective clothing and equipment such as a mask or gloves.
  • Never eat, drink or smoke when handling chemicals.
  • Keep hazardous substances away from children, animals, food (including animal feed) seeds, fertiliser or flammable material such as petrol or oil.
  • Never mix different hazardous substances, such as petrol and oil, or combine garden chemicals into a single container. This is dangerous and can put you and others at risk.
  • Check if any containers are damaged or leaking. Put leaking containers inside another secure container such as a fishbin (cheaper than trying to clean your car after a spill!) and put a label on the outside describing the contents.
  • For hazardous substances that you wish to store, place them in a dry, well-ventilated and securely locked shed or cupboard and keep them off the ground.
  • Store chemicals in labelled containers (ideally their original container) with lids tightly closed. Most product labels are available for downloading / printing on the internet. 
  • If you have substances that can’t be identified, contact the council before disposing of the substances.

Further information

For more information on safety around hazardous substances, particularly for storing those you choose to keep, refer to the Environmental Protection Authority website and the WorkSafe NZ website

The New Zealand Code of Practice for the Management of Agrichemicals (NZS8409) is an essential document for anyone that uses or stores agrichemicals. Copies can be purchased from:

If you want to know more about the Northland Chemical Collection Programme, contact us on 0800 002 004 or email:

Please note that the Northland Regional Council does not collect all wastes, nor does it undertake to fund all collections. Some disposal will be done on a cost share or cost recovery basis. If in doubt, contact us to make further arrangements.