Applications are open now for grants to support riparian and wetland fencing and retirement of erodible land.
Contact a land management advisor on 0800 002 004 to arrange a site visit to start the application process.
|Our fund will only contribute towards lowland riparian fencing until new regulations come into force unless the project goes beyond what is required in the regulations.|
Dates for required stock exclusion are:
- 2023 for dairy farms (so this is the last year we will fund riparian fencing on dairy platforms)
- 2025 for beef cattle and dairy support properties
What is the Environment Fund?
We can contribute towards the cost (subject to criteria) for projects like:
- Fencing off rivers, streams, drains, wetlands and coast
- Fencing for soil conservation / erosion control and land retirement
- Riparian planting
- Dune restoration
- Pest control - see the Bio-fund information
Who can apply?
Funding can be allocated to individuals and voluntary groups for eligible projects; this may include landowners, community and conservation groups, local Māori groups and schools.
Kaipara catchment funding
If you are a landowner in the Kaipara catchment your funding stream has moved from the Northland Regional Council’s Environment fund to the new Kaipara Moana Remediation (KMR) Programme.
For information about the grants and funding available through the KMR Programme, and to register you interest, visit: kmr.org.nz/grants-funding
Important things to know
- There are funding caps – based on the size of the property. Funding for lifestyle blocks below 10ha is discretionary only, based on the issue to be managed.
- Planning to fence off waterways? Make sure there’s an alternative stock water source before you apply for funding.
- You can’t apply retrospectively for funding of projects you’ve already started/completed.
- Funding is allocated based on the relative merit of the project (it’s not first in first served).
- Projects must be of long-term benefit to the local environment and show evidence of good resource management/good farming practice.
- Projects designed for personal or commercial profit, required under resource consent or simply to beautify a site, are not eligible for funding.
- Boundary fencing will not be funded, unless the fence is designed to keep livestock out of a waterway which is on the property boundary.
- There’s a limit to the number of grants you can get in successive years.
Contact us to apply
If you think your project might qualify for funding, contact us.
Our land management staff will help clarify eligibility for funding and take you through the process.