Helping with the cost of projects that protect Northland’s environment – like improving water quality and erosion control.
The Environment fund is fully allocated for 2020.
The next approval date will likely be August / September next year. Anyone interested in possibly applying for funding for a project next year can make enquiries with a land management advisor from early 2021.
What is the Environment Fund?
We can contribute towards the cost (subject to criteria) for projects like:
- Fencing off rivers, streams, drains, wetlands and coast
- Fencing for soil conservation / erosion control and land retirement
- Riparian planting
- Dune restoration
- Pest control - see the Bio-fund information
If you’re looking for funding for other types of planting, check out Te Uru Rākau’s One Billion Trees Fund to see if you qualify: www.teururakau.govt.nz
Who can apply?
Funding can be allocated to individuals and voluntary groups for eligible projects; this may include landowners, community and conservation groups, local Māori groups and schools.
Important things to know
- There are funding caps – based on the size of the property. Funding for lifestyle blocks below 10ha is discretionary only, based on the issue to be managed.
- Planning to fence off waterways? Make sure there’s an alternative stock water source before you apply for funding.
- You can’t apply retrospectively for funding of projects you’ve already started/completed.
- Funding is allocated based on the relative merit of the project (it’s not first in first served).
- Projects must be of long-term benefit to the local environment and show evidence of good resource management/good farming practice.
- Projects designed for personal or commercial profit, required under resource consent or simply to beautify a site, are not eligible for funding.
- Boundary fencing will not be funded, unless the fence is designed to keep livestock out of a waterway which is on the property boundary.
- There’s a limit to the number of grants you can get in successive years.
Contact us to apply
If you think your project might qualify for funding, contact us.
Our land management staff will help clarify eligibility for funding and take you through the process.
What we’re achieving together
Our Environment Fund has been helping people to enhance and protect Northland's natural environment since 1996.
Here's a snapshot of what's been achieved with the support from the Environment Fund.