After a prolonged drought from July 2018 to June 2020, Northland experienced a severe storm in July 2020 (between 15 to 18 July 2020). This event triggered extremely heavy rainfalls and high flood flows in many areas across the region.
This report by Northland Regional Council aims to provide key characteristics of July 2020 storm and its impacts on Northland rivers as outlined below:
- Assessment of the antecedent conditions prior to the event.
- Temporal and spatial analysis of rainfall data.
- Temporal and spatial analysis of flow data.
- Comparative evaluation of the current event to the historic 2007 and 2011 events.
- Investigation of drought-flood relationship. • Identification of uncertainty/limitation if any.
Data and information from various sources were used in compiling this report.