A marine habitat map for the Northland section of the Northeast Marine Bioregion in New Zealand’s territorial sea has been completed and is presented in a series of maps.
This recent publication by the Department of Conservation contains maps of marine habitats for the area of coast out to the 12 nautical mile boundary from Mangawhai to Ahipara. The map covers an area of 1.34 million hectares.
The map book is a useful resource for community groups, iwi and hapu and many other agencies. There is a technical report on how the mapping was undertaken and a poster available for those keen to display Northland’s coastal habitats.
This information should be valuable to any group in Northland looking at marine protection and management.
- Marine Habitats Map of Northland - Pages 1-9.pdf (PDF 1013 KB)
- Marine Habitats Map of Northland - Pages 10-25.pdf (PDF 1.36 MB)
- Northland Marine Habitats Mapbook - Pages 1-5.pdf (PDF 1.2 MB)
- Northland Marine Habitats Mapbook - Pages 6-10.pdf (PDF 1024 KB)
- Northland Marine Habitats Poster.pdf (PDF 399 KB)