11.6 What can you do to help?

You can help protect Northland's groundwater resources by:

· Ensure the location of your bore is registered with the Council. This enables the Council to consider you as an affected party for activities proposed to be undertaken on neighbouring properties i.e. large groundwater takes or discharges on neighbouring properties.

· Make sure your bore meets requirements and is maintained appropriately.

· Register your groundwater use with the Council as this helps the Council sustainably manage groundwater resources now and in the future. Registering your "permitted" take can also ensure your take is protected in the event of future development in your area.

For more information refer to the ‘Save Our Groundwater' brochure on the Regional Council website at the following link:

http://www.nrc.govt.nz/media/izsinmib/saveourgroundwater.pdf" data-udi="umb://media/b186645e340148a4a12d7e752b62233f (PDF 343 KB)

and the ‘Your Well Water Might Be Making You Sick' brochure at the following link:

http://www.nrc.govt.nz/media/55qbddrx/wellwatermightbemakingyousick.pdf" data-udi="umb://media/8e01e1e7eb3749e1a6c3b0e4b03904f7 (PDF 159 KB)