Northport Limited - Port Expansion project at Marsden Point (Joint notification)
Submissions closed Thursday, 15 December 2022.
Northland Regional Council (NRC) and Whangārei District Council (WDC) jointly received an application from Northport Limited for the Port Expansion project at Marsden Point.
The NRC reference number for this application is APP.005055.38.01
The WDC reference number for this application is LU 2200107
Ralph Trimmer Drive, Marsden Point, Whangārei.
The proposal seeks to enable the expansion of Northport’s existing facilities to increase freight storage and handling capacity, and support Northport’s transition into a high-density container terminal.
The application to the NRC is for:
- Approximately 11.7 hectares of reclamation and associated coastal structures for a 250 metre wharf extension.
- 1.72 million cubic metres of capital dredging and associated disposal and ongoing maintenance dredging.
- Riparian earthworks and associated stormwater diversions and discharges.
- Operational stormwater discharges from use of the reclamation area.
- Creation of an intertidal high tide bird roost.
- Ancillary coastal structures to the reclamation area for tug berths and a public pontoon.
The application made to the WDC is to:
- Apply the Port Zone permitted activity standards for Building and Major Structure Height to, and enable port operations within, the proposed reclamation area.
- Apply the Port Noise Standards (NZS 6809:1999) rather than the District Plan Noise standards to port operations on the proposed reclamation area, and across the existing Port.
- Undertake earthworks and vegetation clearance in the Coastal Area and erection of public toilets within the coastal setback.
- Change/cancel noise and landscape conditions on existing resource consents for consistency with the proposed activity.
A hard copy of the application documents may be viewed at:
- Whangārei District Council’s Ruakākā Service Centre, Takutai Place, Ruakākā; and
- The Whangārei Public Library, Rust Avenue, Whangārei.
An electronic copy of the application may be viewed below or: www.wdc.govt.nz/Services/Planning/Notified-Applications
Executive Summary Document:
NRC Application Documents:
- Application document AEE (PDF, 8.2MB)
- Appendix 1 Schedule 4 RMA checklist (PDF, 244KB)
- Appendix 2 Issues and Options Report (PDF 10.6MB)
- Appendix 3 Design Drawings (PDF, 7.2MB)
- Appendix 4 Noise Assessment (PDF, 9.6MB)
- Appendix 5 Draft Management Plans (PDF, 4.2MB)
- Appendix 6 Pocket Park Concept Plan (PDF, 5.6MB)
- Appendix 7 Certificates of Title (PDF, 3.5MB)
- Appendix 8 MACA Act Correspondence (PDF, 304KB)
- Appendix 9 Hydrodynamic Morphodynamic and Dredge Plume modelling reports (PDF, 13MB)
- Attachment Appendix 9 - BHD (PDF, 2.6MB)
- Attachment Appendix 9 - BHD_Bulking (PDF 1.1MB)
- Attachment Appendix 9 - BHD_Exceedence (PDF, 3.2MB)
- Attachment Appendix 9 - BHD_Exceedence_New Thresholds (PDF, 3.1MB)
- Attachment Appendix 9 - BHD_Snapshots (PDF, 1.5MB)
- Attachment Appendix 9 - CSD (PDF, 10.5MB)
- Attachment Appendix 9 - CSD_Bulking (1.2MB)
- Attachment Appendix 9 - CSD_Exceedence (PDF, 3.3MB)
- Attachment Appendix 9 - CSD_Exceedence_New Thresholds (PDF, 3.1MB)
- Attachment Appendix 9 - CSD_Snapshots (PDF, 1.5MB)
- Attachment Appendix 9 - Locations_Maps (PDF, 2.7MB)
- Attachment Appendix 9 - TSHD (PDF, 11.3MB)
- Attachment Appendix 9 - TSHD_Bulking (PDF, 5MB)
- Attachment Appendix 9 - TSHD_Exceedence (PDF, 2.6MB)
- Attachment Appendix 9 - TSHD_Exceedence_New Thresholds (PDF, 3.4MB)
- Attachment Appendix 9 - TSHD_Snapshots (PDF, 1.6MB)
- Appendix 10 Coastal Process Assessment (PDF, 7.2MB)
- Appendix 11 Assessment of Marine Ecological Effects (PDF 15MB)
- Appendix 12 Peer review of Assessment of Ecological Effects (PDF, 1.1MB)
- Appendix 13 Coastal Avifauna Assessment (PDF, 13.6MB)
- Appendix 14 Potential Effects on Marine Mammals (PDF, 4.8MB)
- Revised Appendix 15 Landscape Natural Character and Amenity Effects (PDF, 8.8MB)
- Appendix 16 Archaeology Assessment (PDF, 3.2MB)
- Appendix 17 Northland Marine Oil Spill Contingency Plan (PDF, 8.9MB)
- Appendix 18 Design Report (PDF, 6.3MB)
- Appendix 19 Recreation Effects Assessment (PDF, 8.8MB)
- Appendix 20 Stormwater Assessment (PDF, 7.8MB)
- Appendix 21 Air Quality Assessment (PDF, 19MB)
- Appendix 22 Economic Assessment (PDF, 1.1MB)
- Appendix 23 RNZ Crude Shipping Project resource consent (PDF, 12.8MB)
- Appendix 24 Cultural Effects and Values Assessments (PDF, 9.1MB)
- Appendix 25 Assessment of Underwater Noise Effects (PDF, 8.3MB)
- Appendix 26 Navigation Safety Report (PDF, 1.1MB)
- Appendix 27 Traffic Impact Assessment (PDF, 6.7MB)
- Appendix 28 Planning Policy Analysis (PDF, 1.5MB)
- Appendix 29 Marine Ecology Fieldwork and Stormwater Monitoring Reports (PDF, 12.5MB)
Additional Information provided post-lodgement
s92 Requests and Responses
Some of these documents are a large file size. If you would like to request smaller or individual files, contact: [email protected]
Request for Information - s92
- Section 92 Request for Further Information Letter - Northport (PDF, 378KB)
- Section 92 Request for Further Information Letter _2 - Northport - APP.005055.38.01 and LU2200107 (PDF, 204KB)
Response to Request for Information - s92
- Applicant’s s92 Response Letter (21 Feb 2023) (PDF, 645KB)
- Attachment 1 – 10: functional need, legal opinion, mana whenua, contamination, traffic, underwater noise (PDF, 11.1MB)
- Attachment 11 & 12: Revised Stormwater Assessment and air quality response (PDF, 27.8MB)
- Attachment 13: Hydrodynamic and Morphodynamic Modelling Reports (PDF, 24.6MB)
- Attachment 14: Economics response (PDF, 127KB)
- Agent's covering response re draft conditions - 21.04.2023 (PDF 681 KB)
- WDC draft conditions - working draft 21.4.23 (PDF 439 KB)
- NRC draft conditions - working draft 21.4.23 (Excludes turbidity conditions) (PDF 1.59 MB)
- Traffic Modelling Calculations 2023.04.27 (XLSX 3.39 MB)
- Additional avifauna analysis 2022.11.25 (PDF 8.54 MB)
- Terrestrial Ecological Assessment (Vegetation Removal) 2023.05.05 (PDF 1.78 MB)
- Updated visual simulations (PDF 7.2 MB)