Total mobility

Half price fares

Half price fares have been extended. Total Mobility journeys will have an additional discount applied to the already subsidised fare. This has been made available as part of the Government’s 50% public transport Initiative.

Cardholders are in effect getting a 75% discount – the remaining 25% of the fare plus any costs over and above the maximum subsidy will still need to be paid by the TM cardholder at the end of their journey up to the usual regional cap. As usual, any amount over the regional cap is paid by the user in full.

As a Total Mobility Cardholder, here is what this means for you:

  • There is no change for you inside the vehicle
  • You will have your TM card swiped, as usual, the normal subsidy will be applied as well as the additional discount and you will pay the driver the balance
  • Any further questions please contact either your agency or Northland Regional Council on 0800 002 004.

What is Total Mobility?

Total Mobility is a nationwide scheme that provides a transport subsidy to help people with disabilities stay connected within their community.

If you have a disability that prevents you from using public transport, you could be eligible for a 75% subsidy (up to a maximum of $45) on eligible door-to-door transport to help you get around Whangārei and the Far North districts.

The scheme uses an electronic swipe card system. If you:

  • have a lasting impairment (six months or more); and
  • live in the Whangārei or Far North districts;

then you may be eligible for Total Mobility assistance.

To confirm your eligibility, you will need to contact one of the Total Mobility agencies listed below and undergo an assessment to ensure you meet the national eligibility requirements.  There may be a charge for this.

Getting a Total Mobility card

You need a current Total Mobility card to qualify for the 75% subsidy. To get a card, you need to be assessed, provide a recent photograph and contact details so a card can be produced for you.

If you lose your Total Mobility card, report it to council as soon as possible. There is no charge for the card.

A caregiver/support person can travel with the holder of the card if s/he so wishes. No one else is entitled to use the card.

Who do I contact for an assessment?

Far North residents:
Please contact our Total Mobility Coordinator Anita Child at Northland Regional Council for an assessment.
Phone: 0800 002 004

Whangārei residents:

Agent Contact number Contact person
Age Concern - Whangārei
16 Manse Street
Whangārei 0112
Phone: 438 8043
Email: [email protected]
Betty Smith
Blind Low Vision
277 Kamo Road
Phone: 437 1194
Email: [email protected]
Kylie Mitchel
CCS Disability Action
291 Kamo Road
Whau Valley
Whangārei 0112
Phone: 437 1899
Fax: 437 0209
Email: [email protected]
Michelle Devine
Cairnfield House
PO Box 1478
Whangārei 0140
Phone: 437 0186
Fax: 437 2894
Email: [email protected] 
Julie Partridge
Community Mental Health Services
C/O Norton House
PO Box 742
Whangārei 0140
Phone: 430 4101
Fax: 430 4105
Email: [email protected]
Maria Keefe
The Epilepsy Association of New Zealand
(Northland Branch)

PO Box 712
Whangārei 0140
Phone: 438 5498
Email: [email protected]
Sam Morgan
Idea Services
151 Bank Street
Whangārei 0112
Phone: 470 2000
Email: [email protected]
Joanne Miscall
Lester Heights Hospital
93 Fourth Avenue
Phone: 438 3909
Fax: 438 3953
Email: [email protected]
Carly Mangulabnan
NorthAble Matapuna Hauora
40 John Street
Phone: 430 0988
Email: [email protected]

Total Mobility user guides

More information about the Total Mobility scheme is available in the following user guides:

Read the Whangārei Total Mobility user guide (PDF 2.98 MB) 

Far North
Read the Far North Total Mobility user guide (PDF 3.07 MB)

Total Mobility around New Zealand

Visit the NZTA website: to find a user's guide to the Total Mobility scheme in the different regions around New Zealand.

Transport operators

Four transport operators provide the Total Mobility service in Whangārei and can be contacted on the following numbers:

A1 Cabs Whangārei Driving Miss Daisy Kiwi Cabs Freedom Drivers Whangārei
P:09 438 3377 Whangārei
P: 09 430 8091

Far North
P: 09 407 9889


P: 09 438 4444 P: 09 430 0139 | M: 021 0226 1564
E: [email protected]

Access Whangārei Map

The Tiaho Trust have made available a guide designed to help you find your way around the city, listing mobility parking spaces, accessible amenities including toilets, accommodation, conference, retail and dining options in Whangārei.

Find the Access Whangārei Map on the Tiaho Trust's website at:

More information on Total Mobility

For more information on Total Mobility please contact:

Total Mobility Co–ordinator
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 0800 002 004