If you are organising working bees and planting days it is important to plan ahead to ensure that everyone stays safe, enjoys the experience and wants to come back again!
· Ensure all volunteers are aware of any hazards in the area where they are working.
· Wear covered foot-wear when using spades.
· Make sure anyone using tools knows how to use them safely.
· It is best to limit working bees to four hours maximum with breaks as needed.
· If possible provide shade/shelter and refreshments.
· It's a good idea to have a first aid kit and trained first aider on site.
· Make sure you have a way of raising the alarm and communicating with emergency services.
Use protective clothing and equipment when using herbicide.