Northland Regional Council (NRC) engaged NIWA to assist achievement of its goal “to prevent deterioration in water quality and loss of biodiversity value in Northland lakes”.
This report presents a summary of information on native biodiversity value gathered on 84 Northland lakes and wetland margins. The core information in this report is a ‘living’ document to be added to and modified to incorporate changes in lake values as they change. This information is key for the NRC Lakes Strategy as it is essential for managers to know what they are managing and monitor responses to management initiatives.
The report was updated in April 2010 by:
- Lake native biodiversity value monitoring for Lakes Yelavich, Carrot, Ngakapua N & S, Ngatu, Little Gem, West Coast Road, Waiparera (high ranking Waipapakauri lakes) and Shag (Kai-Iwi Lakes) with vegetation descriptions, and ecological observations.
- LakeSPI surveys (assessment of submerged plant indicators) for Lakes Yelavich, Carrot Ngakapua (north and south), Ngatu, Shag, Heather and Waiparera.
- Weed surveillance monitoring of Lakes Ngatu, Waiporohita, Kai-Iwi, Taharoa, Waikere, Humuhumu and Rotokawau (Pouto).
- Reconnaissance of the water bodies adjacent to Te Kahika and Morehurehu (Te Kahika South, Morehurehu South 1), Lake Taeore, Forest Lake, Lake Rotoroa (all Aupouri) and Lake Waingata (Pouto).
- Sampling for fish in Lake Ngatu to confirm the presence of the pest fish perch.
- Re-survey Lake Swan and assess effectiveness of grass carp since the May 2009 release.
- Re-survey and photograph submerged vegetation in Lake Heather for a baseline prior to grass carp release.
- Updating the Methods and Biosecurity sections.
Download the report
The size of this file means that we are not able to present it online as a single document. It has been separated into a number of pdfs to enable efficient download.
The complete report is available on CD by clicking on the Request a Copy link just above (and to the right) of the report heading on this page.
- Contents - Executive Summary - Introduction and Methods.pdf (162 KB)
- Aupouri Lakes - pages 10-75.pdf (762 KB)
- Aupouri Lakes - pages 76-142.pdf (981 KB)
- Karikari Peninsula - Central and East.pdf (652 KB)
- Kai-Iwi and north Dargaville Lakes.pdf (346 KB)
- Pouto Peninsula - pages 218-249.pdf (673 KB)
- Pouto Peninsula - pages 250-282.pdf (845 KB)
- Biosecurity and Weed Surveillance.pdf (106 KB)
- Acknowledgements and References.pdf (29 KB)