What is the strategy all about?
The Northland 30 Year Transport Strategy 2010-2040 is an in-depth look at where Northland’s transport is now, where the region wants to be in 30 years and how it intends to get there.
Legally, Northland must produce a strategy like this – with its broad 30 year outlook - every six years. More detailed planning reflecting the overall thrust of the strategy is then developed – and updated – every three years via a Regional Land Transport Programme.
The latest Strategy has been produced by Northland’s Regional Transport Committee. (Committee members include representatives from the Kaipara, Far North and Whangarei District Councils, the Northland Regional Council and the New Zealand Transport Agency. Other members represent a variety of other interests including safety and security, environmental sustainability, access and mobility, cultural interests, public health and economic development.)
The vision of the document is ‘People and freight in Northland have access to an affordable, integrated, safe, responsive and sustainable transport system. (He tangata, he oranga, he putea taonga, it is people, it is health, it is wealth.)’
To achieve the 2040 Northland transport vision, eight outcomes have been developed to help us plan the priorities we need to focus on. They are:
- A sustainable transport system
- A safe transport system
- A region that is well-connected to Auckland and other parts of New Zealand
- A well-developed and maintained transport network
- Bulk freight moved from road-based to rail and coastal shipping
- Improved transport choices and accessibility to key services
- More efficient port services
- Enhancing the environmental and cultural values of Northland through strategic transportation planning.
Key initiatives in the strategy include:
- The long term goal of four laning State Highway 1 from Auckland to the Bay of Islands
- The development of an international airport in the Bay of Islands
- Developing a strategic route to direct freight traffic away from State Highway 1
- The long term goal of bridging the Hokianga Harbour
- Linking Northport to the national rail network.
Get your copy
To order a copy of the 30 Year Transport Strategy for Northland (incorporating the Regional Land Transport Strategy), contact the Northland Regional Council on 0800 002 004 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Cost: Hard copy $20.00 (including GST).
CD $20 (including GST).
Download your copy
You can also download a copy of the 30 Year Transport Strategy for Northland below.