Northland Regional Council (NRC) engaged NIWA to assist achievement of its goal “to prevent deterioration in water quality and loss of biodiversity value in Northland lakes”.
This report presents a summary of information gathered on 80 Northland lakes. The core information in this report is a ‘living’ document to be added to and modified to incorporate changes in lake values as they change. This information is key for the NRC Lakes Strategy as it is essential for managers to know what they are managing and monitor responses to management initiatives.
The report was updated in 2009 by:
- Re-surveying the Waitahora Lagoon and Lakes Ngakaketa North, Morehurehu, Te Kahika, Waihopo, and Rotokawau (Waipapakauri), with vegetation descriptions, ecological observations, and LakeSPI.
- Re-surveying Lake Swan and establishing a baseline assessment protocol as this lake was scheduled for invasive weed eradication using grass carp. Grass carp were introduced into Lake Swan in May 2009 by NRC.
- Rapid assessment of Lake Heather submerged vegetation prior to intiation of a grass carp eradication programme by NRC.
- Weed surveillance monitoring of Lakes Ngatu, Waiporohita, Kai-iwi, Taharoa, Waikere, Humuhumu, Swan and Rotokawau (all at-risk, high priority water bodies).
Download the report
The size of this file means that we are not able to present it online as a single document. It has been separated into a number of pdfs to enable efficient download.
The complete report is available on CD by clicking on the Request a Copy link just above (and to the right) of the report heading on this page.
- Contents and Executive Summary (491 KB)
- Introduction (84 KB)
- Methods (236 KB)
- Aupouri Lakes A - K (781 KB)
- Aupouri Lakes L - N (1154 KB)
- Aupouri Lakes P - T (1307 KB)
- Aupouri Lakes W - Z (1382 KB)
- Karikari Peninsula central and east (1789 KB)
- Kai-Iwi and north Dargaville lakes (1040 KB)
- Pouto Peninsula (2643 KB)
- Biosecurity (449 KB)
- Weed surveillance programme 2009 (104 KB)
- Acknowledgements (77 KB)
- References (92 KB)