Watch out for ships
Large ships need plenty of manoeuvring room and cannot stop easily. Bay of Islands and Whangārei harbours are busy and require extra vigilance.
- Don’t cross the bow of manoeuvring ships.
- Within Northland harbours, all boats are required to keep well clear of and give way to ships over 500gt (gross tonnes) (and seaplanes taking off or landing).
- Cruise ships entering and leaving the Bay of Islands take the same route through the bay – be sure to keep clear of ships moving through the bay and do not anchor in the Waitangi sector light.
- Keep a look out early morning and late afternoon when cruise ships normally transit.
- Check out the cruise ship schedule at www.nrc.govt.nz/maritimecalendar