There are a few small things that you can do to help minimise the risks of waste hazardous substances on the environment and to people, such as:
· Making sure all waste hazardous substances are disposed of carefully and appropriately.
· Dispose of old vehicle parts and batteries appropriately.
· Report any incidents involving hazardous wastes to the Regional Council environmental hotline on 0800 504 639.
· Use alternative ‘green' products in your home for cleaning.
· Dispose of your household light bulbs appropriately, particularly energy saving light bulbs and fluroscent light bulbs, as these contain mercury.