Submissions are open until Thursday, 15 December 2022 on a jointly notified resource consent application by Northport Limited.
Northland Regional Council (NRC) and Whangārei District Council (WDC) have jointly received an application from Northport Limited for the Port Expansion project at Marsden Point.
The NRC reference number for this application is APP.005055.38.01
The WDC reference number for this application is LU 2200107
Ralph Trimmer Drive, Marsden Point, Whangārei.
The proposal seeks to enable the expansion of Northport’s existing facilities to increase freight storage and handling capacity, and support Northport’s transition into a high-density container terminal.
The application to the NRC is for:
- Approximately 11.7 hectares of reclamation and associated coastal structures for a 250 metre wharf extension.
- 1.72 million cubic metres of capital dredging and associated disposal and ongoing maintenance dredging.
- Riparian earthworks and associated stormwater diversions and discharges.
- Operational stormwater discharges from use of the reclamation area.
- Creation of an intertidal high tide bird roost.
- Ancillary coastal structures to the reclamation area for tug berths and a public pontoon.
The application made to the WDC is to:
- Apply the Port Zone permitted activity standards for Building and Major Structure Height to, and enable port operations within, the proposed reclamation area.
- Apply the Port Noise Standards (NZS 6809:1999) rather than the District Plan Noise standards to port operations on the proposed reclamation area, and across the existing Port.
- Undertake earthworks and vegetation clearance in the Coastal Area and erection of public toilets within the coastal setback.
- Change/cancel noise and landscape conditions on existing resource consents for consistency with the proposed activity.
A hard copy of the application documents may be viewed at:
- Whangārei District Council’s Ruakākā Service Centre, Takutai Place, Ruakākā; and
- The Whangārei Public Library, Rust Avenue, Whangārei.
An electronic copy of the application may be viewed below or: www.wdc.govt.nz/Services/Planning/Notified-Applications
Any person may make a submission on the application, but a person who is a trade competitor of the applicant may do so only if that person is directly affected by an effect of the activity to which the application relates that (a) adversely affects the environment; and (b) does not relate to trade competition or the effects of trade competition.
The submission must be in the prescribed form (Form 13). Copies of each council’s submission form will be available where the hard copy applications can be viewed, from any of the respective council offices, and on each council’s web page.
Your submission must be received by a Council on or before THURSDAY, 15 DECEMBER 2022. You may serve your submission on the NRC and/or WDC via post or email at the following addresses (Note: the date that you complete either of these actions is the date that you are deemed to have ‘served’ your submission and this must be done on or before THURSDAY, 15 DECEMBER 2022):
Northland Regional Council Submission:
Post: Private Bag 9021, Te Mai, Whangārei 0143
Email: [email protected]
Whangārei District Council Submission:
Post: Private Bag 9023, Te Mai, Whangārei 0143
Email: [email protected]
You must also serve a copy of your submission on the applicant’s address for service, as shown below, as soon as reasonably practicable after serving your submission on the NRC or WDC.
Address for service:
c/- Reyburn & Bryant
Attention: Brett Hood
PO Box 191, Whangarei 0140
Email: [email protected]
If you require further explanation of this application or further information before deciding whether or not to make a submission please contact the Council's consultant planner Stacey Sharp by email [email protected] or by phone (09) 300 9029.
Executive Summary Document:
NRC Application Documents:
- Application document AEE (PDF, 8.2MB)
- Appendix 1 Schedule 4 RMA checklist (PDF, 244KB)
- Appendix 2 Issues and Options Report (PDF 10.6MB)
- Appendix 3 Design Drawings (PDF, 7.2MB)
- Appendix 4 Noise Assessment (PDF, 9.6MB)
- Appendix 5 Draft Management Plans (PDF, 4.2MB)
- Appendix 6 Pocket Park Concept Plan (PDF, 5.6MB)
- Appendix 7 Certificates of Title (PDF, 3.5MB)
- Appendix 8 MACA Act Correspondence (PDF, 304KB)
- Appendix 9 Hydrodynamic Morphodynamic and Dredge Plume modelling reports (PDF, 13MB)
- Attachment Appendix 9 - BHD (PDF, 2.6MB)
- Attachment Appendix 9 - BHD_Bulking (PDF 1.1MB)
- Attachment Appendix 9 - BHD_Exceedence (PDF, 3.2MB)
- Attachment Appendix 9 - BHD_Exceedence_New Thresholds (PDF, 3.1MB)
- Attachment Appendix 9 - BHD_Snapshots (PDF, 1.5MB)
- Attachment Appendix 9 - CSD (PDF, 10.5MB)
- Attachment Appendix 9 - CSD_Bulking (1.2MB)
- Attachment Appendix 9 - CSD_Exceedence (PDF, 3.3MB)
- Attachment Appendix 9 - CSD_Exceedence_New Thresholds (PDF, 3.1MB)
- Attachment Appendix 9 - CSD_Snapshots (PDF, 1.5MB)
- Attachment Appendix 9 - Locations_Maps (PDF, 2.7MB)
- Attachment Appendix 9 - TSHD (PDF, 11.3MB)
- Attachment Appendix 9 - TSHD_Bulking (PDF, 5MB)
- Attachment Appendix 9 - TSHD_Exceedence (PDF, 2.6MB)
- Attachment Appendix 9 - TSHD_Exceedence_New Thresholds (PDF, 3.4MB)
- Attachment Appendix 9 - TSHD_Snapshots (PDF, 1.6MB)
- Appendix 10 Coastal Process Assessment (PDF, 7.2MB)
- Appendix 11 Assessment of Marine Ecological Effects (PDF 15MB)
- Appendix 12 Peer review of Assessment of Ecological Effects (PDF, 1.1MB)
- Appendix 13 Coastal Avifauna Assessment (PDF, 13.6MB)
- Appendix 14 Potential Effects on Marine Mammals (PDF, 4.8MB)
- Revised Appendix 15 Landscape Natural Character and Amenity Effects (PDF, 8.8MB)
- Appendix 16 Archaeology Assessment (PDF, 3.2MB)
- Appendix 17 Northland Marine Oil Spill Contingency Plan (PDF, 8.9MB)
- Appendix 18 Design Report (PDF, 6.3MB)
- Appendix 19 Recreation Effects Assessment (PDF, 8.8MB)
- Appendix 20 Stormwater Assessment (PDF, 7.8MB)
- Appendix 21 Air Quality Assessment (PDF, 19MB)
- Appendix 22 Economic Assessment (PDF, 1.1MB)
- Appendix 23 RNZ Crude Shipping Project resource consent (PDF, 12.8MB)
- Appendix 24 Cultural Effects and Values Assessments (PDF, 9.1MB)
- Appendix 25 Assessment of Underwater Noise Effects (PDF, 8.3MB)
- Appendix 26 Navigation Safety Report (PDF, 1.1MB)
- Appendix 27 Traffic Impact Assessment (PDF, 6.7MB)
- Appendix 28 Planning Policy Analysis (PDF, 1.5MB)
- Appendix 29 Marine Ecology Fieldwork and Stormwater Monitoring Reports (PDF, 12.5MB)