July 2016 - Chairman's Report
19 Jul 2016
During the period I attended the following meetings/events/functions:
- Meetings attended with the council's CEO, Malcolm Nicolson:
- David Senior and representatives from Te Hiku Sports Hub.
- Local Government New Zealand Zone One meeting hosted at Northland Regional Council.
- Northland Mayoral Forum hosted by Whangarei District Council.
- Barry Trass, Tony Jelas, and councillors – Chinese delegation from China Railway Zhangji Holding Group.
- UNISA Mayors and Chairs meeting Auckland.
- Greig Alexander – forestry.
- Interview with River Taylor-Moore, Channel North – Coastal Erosion.
- Councillor David Sinclair and Tony Phipps, GM Customer Service/Community Resilience, attended a meeting of members of the Whangārei Strategic Alliance – asset identification whenua/land – papakainga.
- Councillor Joe Carr and I attended a meeting arranged by Northland Inc. – introduction of potential Chinese investor.
- Councillors Joe Carr, Paul Dimery and Monty Knight, along with our partners, attended the Ballance Farm Environment National Showcase Dinner.
- Attended lunch with three of the Blues players along with other Whangārei business leaders.
- Mita Harris, Retiring Chair, Northland Conservation Board; and Willie Wright, current Deputy Chair – introductory meeting.
- Shane Reti and Hon. Paula Bennett – budget highlights.
- Function to celebrate Mangawhai Harbour Anniversary of the 'Big Dig' in 1991.
- Councillor John Bain and I had a catch up meeting with Ernst Zöllner, New Zealand Transport Agency.