September 2016 - Chairman's Report
16 Sep 2016, 10:32 AM
During the period I attended the following meetings/events/functions:
- Meetings attended with the council’s CEO, Malcolm Nicolson:
- Video conference with Lyn Provost, Controller and Auditor-General, along with Cr Sinclair – audit issues.
- Carol Berghan, Action Plan Portfolio Manager, Northland Inc. – meet and greet.
- Meeting with representatives from Ministry for Environment, councillors and staff – National Policy Statement – Freshwater Management Review.
- Leigh Auton and Rewi Henderson, Local Government Commission.
- Joseph Stuart, Northland Inc. – community coverage nominations.
- Local Government New Zealand Conference, along with Crs Sinclair and Knight.
- Catchup meeting with Sir John Goulter.
- David Wilson and Vaughan Cooper, Northland Inc.; and Cr Sinclair – Hundertwasser.
- Northland Mayoral Forum, Bay of Islands.
- Yin Xiaoxu, on behalf of China Rail; and Barry Trass – opportunities for development.
- Whangārei District Council’s Civic Honours Award Ceremony.
- Councillors Carr, Knight, Samuels and I attended the opening of the revamped Whangatane Spillway and the associated 54 metre long stock bridge, along with Northland Regional Council staff and residents of Kaitāia.
- Barry Trass, Clive Jackson, and Helen Whittaker – update on Prosper Northland Trust.
- Mark Vincent – prospective candidate for local government elections.
- Councillors Ramsey, Sinclair and I met with Rosemary MacGibbon – CEO’s performance review.
- Catch up meeting with Harry Burkhardt – discussion on the future of the Tai Tokerau Northland Economic Action Plan Advisory Group.
- Councillors Carr, Knight, and I attended a project meeting organised by Hon. John Carter, Mayor, Far North District Council – Manea – Footprints of Kupe.
- Raweyn Jacobs and Claire Rosanowski, Foundation Northland – reference checking on the Prosper Northland Trust funding application for Hundertwasser.
- Penny Smart, Northland Dairy Development Trust – current and future issues.
- Brad Mosby, Whangārei–Kaipara Area Manager, NZ Fire Service – meet and greet.
- Councillors Dimery, Sinclair and I attended the Whangārei Strategic Alliance meeting.
- Tai Tokerau Northland Economic Action Plan Advisory Group meeting.
- Barry Trass and Grant Faber – Hundertwasser.
- TPM submission – Top Energy draft – conference call.
- Participated in the Regional Sector Group tour prior to the start of the Local Government New Zealand conference.
- Pete Ogle and Megan McGregor, Ray White – commercial real estate and Paerata forestry.
- Ministerial visit by Hon. Steven Joyce and Hon. Nathan Guy to Alister and Lyn Candy’s farm, Okaihau – Extension 350 Project to develop the profitability of Northland agriculture.
- Shelley Shao and Max Shen, The Epoch Times; Jonathan Gibbard, GM Strategy and Governance; and Matt Johnson, Media Specialist – discussion on potential for NRC to advertise in their Chinese/English newspaper.
- Ross Vintiner – stakeholder survey for LGNZ.
- Rob Stevenson – prospective candidate for local government elections.
- Attended the Northland Dairy Development Trust meeting.
- Mangere Catchment Group public drop-in session for catchment plan.
- Councillors Bain, Dimery, and I attended the Transport NZ Summit & Infrastructure 2016.