This page has information about the hearings for provisions in the Proposed Regional Plan for Northland for managing the use of genetic engineering and genetically modified organisms (GE/GMO).
The hearing was reconvened on 26 February to allow councillors to ask questions of the expert planners:
Schedule for hearings held in Whangārei, 30 and 31 October 2018.
GE/GMO hearing schedule - as at 25 October 2018 (PDF, 115KB)
Hearings evidence and written statements
Submitters have provided evidence and written statements for the hearings.
Section 42A Report
This report responds to submissions and describes any recommended changes to the Proposed Regional Plan. The report was prepared by Peter Reaburn (a consultant).
- S42A report – GE and GMOs (PDF,
- Appendix A Submitter Table (PDF, 457KB)
- Appendix B Court Decisions (PDF, 1.97MB)
- Appendix C ICWP Reports (PDF, 13MB)
- Appendix D Badham and Warren S32 Documents (PDF, 6.7MB)
- Appendix E NZCPS 2010 (PDF, 1.3MB)
- Appendix F Legal Opinion (PDF, 129KB)
- Appendix G Letter on behalf of Soil and Health Association (PDF, 178KB)
- Appendix H Cabinet paper on GM HSNO (PDF, 880KB)
- Appendix I GE GMO Provisions in Auckland, Whangarei and Far North District Plans (PDF, 1.22MB)
- Appendix J Preliminary Draft Provisions CMA (PDF, 430KB)
The following report is an addendum report to the S42A report. It responds to evidence and written statements provided by submitters.
- Addendum s42A report – GE and GMOS (PDF, 400KB)
Northland Regional Council councillors will hear and decide on the GE/GMO submissions. The chair is Bill Shepherd (Northland Regional Council Chairman).
Minutes are issued to provide information to submitters and give directions about how the hearings will be run. These are the minutes relevant to the GE/GMO hearings.
- Minute 11 - Proposed Regional Plan for Northland (PDF, 450KB)
- Minute 10 - Council hearing of GE/GMO provisions (PDF, 452KB)
- Minute 9 - Council hearing of GE/GMO provisions (PDF, 452KB)
- Minute 8 - Council hearing of GE/GMO provisions (PDF, 61KB)
- Minute 7 - Council hearing of GE/GMO provisions (PDF, 128KB)
- Minute 5 - Council hearing of GE/GMO submissions (PDF, 48KB)
- Minute 4 - Hearing panel for the Proposed Regional Plan for Northland (PDF, 42KB)
- Minute 2 - Hearing panel for the Proposed Regional Plan for Northland (PDF, 36KB)
- Minute 1 - Hearing Panel for the Proposed Regional Plan for Northland (PDF, 72KB)
- Errata 1 to Minute 1 - Minute and Directions of the Hearings Panel (PDF, 14KB)
Information provided in response to Minutes
- Soil & Health Association NZ and GE Free Tai Tokerau (PDF, 2MB)
- WDC and FNDC - Response to minute 1 (PDF, 580KB)
- Joint witness statement of planners (PDF, 642KB)
- Submitters comments on expert planners provisions (PDF, 1.12MB)
- Expert planners caucasing statement - GMO provisions - 7 February 2019 (PDF, 252KB)
- GMO provisions - Expert planners agreed wording - 7 Feb 2019 (PDF, 718KB)
- Aquaculture NZ position on the use of GMO vaccines (PDF, 90KB)
- Legal opinion on liability regarding GMO regulation in the coastal environment (PDF, 173KB)