If you're interested in owning a mooring in Northland you can either buy an existing one or apply to the regional council to lay one. The council has information about this process and a free online database listing moorings for sale or rent:

For queries regarding your mooring, email: [email protected]

Advice to moorings owners

  • Every vessel occupying a mooring must display the owner’s contact cellphone/email. This is so you can be contacted if there is a problem with your vessel e.g. vessel breaks off mooring or is seen to be sinking.
  • Swing mooring owners should regularly check moorings for damage or deterioration to the head rope and anti-chafe hose. Pile mooring owners should ensure mooring lines are in good condition and a suitable size.
  • Any substandard or damaged buoy must be replaced.
  • Moorings must not be relocated without prior written approval from the regional council.
  • Mooring owners subletting their moorings must advise the regional council of the vessel and owner details.
  • The correct mooring number must be clearly inscribed on the mooring buoy in numbers not less than 30mm high.
  • Vessels larger/longer than the authorised licence length can’t be placed on moorings.
  • Do not use any mooring unless you have the owner’s permission and have checked it is suitable for the size of your vessel.

Inform the regional council promptly if any of your vessel details change.