When anchoring, ensure you have enough anchor line out to cover the tidal range and stream. Using at least three to five times the depth is recommended in calm conditions, additional length will be necessary in higher winds.
- Check your swing room is sufficient for the anchor scope (length of anchor warp).
- Choose an anchorage clear of busy channels, marina and bay entrances and mooring fields.
- Check your chart for any prohibited anchorages, avoid areas of underwater cables.
- Have your contact name and phone number or email address visible in case of emergency.
- The owner or master of a vessel at anchor must ensure that it is securely moored at all times.