If you're heading out in a kayak or on a paddleboard, here are some guidelines to help you stay safe on the water.
- Learn the basics in flat, calm water
- Keep a safe distance from swimmers
- Check the weather before you go out and be wary of offshore winds
- Tell someone where you’re going and when you’ll be back
- Wear a lifejacket
- Be seen. Wear or display something brightly coloured during the day
- At night, display an all-round white light or have ready a bright torch so you can be seen
- Take at least two forms of communication with you (for example, a cellphone or VHF radio in a dry bag)
- For any board sport: If a lifejacket is not worn, a wetsuit or tether/leash appropriate to the conditions must be worn.
There's more information about kayaking and paddleboarding on this website to help you enjoy these sports safely – visit www.nrc.govt.nz/onthewater