Northland's beaches are under increasing pressure from four-wheel drives, motorbikes and other vehicles. If you need to drive on the beach keep yourself and others safe and protect the beach environment by following the guidelines below.
- Drive to the conditions – keep your speed down.
- Only use designated vehicle access routes onto the beach, then stick to hard sand below the high tide mark.
- Drive slowly and carefully near other beach users.
- Follow all road rules.
- Park at an angle to the traffic and keep access clear.
- Check with your district council for local bylaws, including speed restrictions.
If you want to report bad beach driving contact the appropriate agency with as many details and photographs as possible, including the vehicle registration number.
- Vehicle and driver offences.
- Call 111 in an emergency.
- *555 from your cell phone to report dangerous driving.
Northland Regional Council
- Damage to sand dunes/destruction of vegetation.
- Environmental hotline 0800 504 639.
- Bylaw breaches.
- Noise complaints and rubbish dumping.
Department of Conservation
- Disturbance of birds/wildlife.
- Inappropriate vehicle use in conservation areas.