Pest control hub
What does it look like?
Chinese privet is a shrub or small tree that grows to 5+m tall. It is evergreen or semi-deciduous with distinctive warty lumps on stems and densely hairy shoots. Oval, dull green leaves (25-60 x 12-25mm) occasionally have wavy edges. Loose drooping clusters (up to 10cm long) of small, tubular and very fragrant white flowers appear from July to March, followed by round, green berries that mature to dull purplish-black.
Why is it a problem?
While Chinese privet inhabits forest margins, heavily disturbed bush, shrublands, open stream and alluvial river systems, fernland, rocklands, cliffs, coastal and estuarine areas, and inshore islands.
Privet produces many highly-viable seeds in widely-dispersed berries. It is very dominant, spreading dense carpets of seedlings that displace native shrubs and prevent native plant regeneration. Privet is very tolerant of shade, frost, damage, grazing, all well-drained soil types, high to moderate temperatures, damp or drought conditions, salt and wind. Chinese privet is short-lived but constantly replaced.
- Pull or dig seedlings (all year round). Leave on site to rot down.
- Stump swab (all year round): 250ml glyphosate per 750ml water or 5g metsulfuron-methyl (600g/kg) + penetrant per1L water.
- Drill and fill (all year round): One 10-12mm hole every/20 cm of trunk, 2 g/hole of metsulfuron-methyl 600g/kg.
- Frilling: With a sharp chisel or axe, make a deep cut into the sapwood at regular intervals around the base of the tree, taking care not to ring-bark the plant. Immediately saturate the cuts with 5g metsulfuron-methyl (600g/kg) + penetrant per 10L water.
- Injection method: Holes are drilled sloping into the sapwood at regular intervals around the tree. Immediately saturate the holes with metsulfuron-methyl 600g/kg (5g/10L + penetrant) or undiluted Tordon Brushkiller, using a sheep drench pack with spraygun.
- Spray (spring-autumn): 5g metsulfuron-methyl (600g/kg) + penetrant per 10L water.
CAUTION: When using any herbicide or pesticide, PLEASE READ THE LABEL THOROUGHLY to ensure that all instructions and safety requirements are followed.
Biocontrol has been released for this pest plant.