Where to find help in Northland

Northland CDEM Group logo.

If you require assistance because of the drought there are a number of agencies that can help you, your family and whānau. Here’s a brief outline of the services and support that may be available to you.

Updated: 01:00pm Monday, 02 March 2020

Local council

Town water supplies in Northland are managed by the three district councils. If you’re connected to a town water supply (i.e. don’t have your own rainwater tank or bore) and have an issue with your water, please check with your district council. Their websites and Facebook pages are also a good source of information and updates.

Treating your own water

You may need to treat your own water if your usual water source runs out and you want to make sure your alternative supply is safe to drink. The Northland District Health Board has information available on cleaning water tanks and containers and treating the water to help you and your whānau stay well.

Northland District Health Board
Phone: 09 470 0000 | www.northlanddhb.org.nz/home/drought/

Support and counselling services

It’s completely normal for you and your family to be emotionally and physically drained by this situation. You’re not alone in feeling this way, and you don’t have to cope on your own.

If you, your family or someone you know needs someone to talk to, there is a range of support and counselling services available.

Ministry of Health - Provide a free service to talk to a trained counsellor.
Text or phone: 1737 anytime.

Victim Support - Provides emotional and practical support 24 hours a day:
Phone: 0800 Victim (0800 842 846) | for information on dealing with trauma visit: www.victimsupport.org.nz

New Zealand Red Cross - Based at 59a Bank St, Whangārei: 
Phone: 0800 RED CROSS (0800 733 276) | www.redcross.org.nz

Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) - Provides free support and advice: 
Phone: 0800 367 222 or 09 438 8046 | www.cab.org.nz

Salvation Army - Provides pastoral care. Call for support or advice on other support services that the Salvation Army provides: 
Phone: 09 438 8335 

Rural Support Trust - Provides support and advice to the rural sector. Call the Rural Support Trust for advice: 
Phone: 0800 787 254 | www.rural-support.org.nz

GP - Your GP may be able to refer you to a support agency, depending on your need.

Healthline - Staffed by an experienced team that includes registered nurses, paramedics and health advisors, who can provide you with health information and advice on care: 
Phone: 0800 611 116

Emergency/financial assistance

Work and Income - May be able to help with financial assistance, even if you’re not on a benefit. Go to the Work and Income website to find out what help they can offer and how to apply:
Phone: 0800 559 009 | www.workandincome.govt.nz/eligibility/emergencies/2020/northland-droughts.html

Inland Revenue - Tax relief and income assistance along with other measures, are available to people affected by extreme weather such as droughts. Contact Inland Revenue to see how they can help:
Phone: 0800 473 566 | www.classic.ird.govt.nz/business-income-tax/extreme-weather-relief 

Tenancy information

Check your tenancy agreement around water supply. If you are the tenant or landlord of a rental property, contact Tenancy Services to find information on your rights and obligations:
Phone: 0800 TENANCY (0800 836 262) | www.tenancy.govt.nz

Animal welfare

If you are concerned about your animals or pets, contact your veterinarian in the first instance.

If you need assistance on-farm please contact the Rural Support Trust for advice:
Phone: 0800 787 254

If you need to report an animal welfare issue or have an animal welfare query contact MPI’s animal welfare team
Phone: 0800 008 333

There is good information for helping your animals, including pets, in emergency situations on the MPI website:

Dry weather management tools for stock

Support for rural communities

The government has classified the drought as a medium-scale adverse weather event in Northland, announcing an $80,000 support package (February 11, 2020). For more free and confidential information about this and other assistance, contact the Northland Rural Support Trust.

The Rural Assistance Payments have been activated. Check with your Rural Support Coordinator about what is available:
Phone: 0800 Rural Help (0800 787 254)| www.rural-support.org.nz

The Rural Support Trust newsletter has information on how to manage during a drought:

Federated Farmers is also a good source of information and potential assistance:
Phone: 0800 327 646.