Far North coastal water restriction area map
This Water Shortage Direction (WSD) does not include:
- Those on reticulated town supply.
The WSD applies to
- All taking of water from surface water and ground water sources in Far North coastal catchments (Russell, Oruru and East/West Whangaroa) as shown by the highlighted area of the map titled "Far North Coastal Water Restriction Area" (above).
- Townships including but not limited to:
- Coopers Beach/Cable Bay/Mangonui
- Taupo Bay
- Tauranga Bay
- Matauri Bay
- Te Ngaere Bay
Water can be taken during the term of the notice for:
- Reasonable household domestic needs
- Reasonable drinking and welfare needs of stock.
Water cannot be taken for:
- Pasture and lawn irrigation
- Garden watering by hose, irrigation systems or other means unless the water is reused/recycled domestic water (e.g. from kitchen sinks and washing machines)
- Washing of cars and other vehicles and machinery, including boats
- Water blasting
- Filling of swimming pools/spa pools.
The Water Shortage Direction may not apply to:
- Those taking water for milking shed and horticultural use. NRC is endeavouring to speak with all of these people - if you are taking water for these purposes and you haven’t been contacted by NRC, please phone 0800 002 004 and ask to speak with a staff member from the council’s monitoring team.
- Land based dams - those that aren’t fed by streams or require continuation flows to be maintained downstream.
- Water used for biosecurity purposes, e.g. to prevent the spread of Kauri dieback.