Whangarei Harbour Marina Management Trust
Within the Hātea River, adjacent to confluence of Hātea River and Limeburners Creek, Whangārei. Road access is from Port Road, Whangārei.
To establish and operate a maximum 130 berth marina development in the Hātea River located adjacent to Port Road between Te Matau ā Pohe bridge and Limeburners Creek.
The marina development includes a 4550 square metre reclamation to accommodate a marina building (containing office and ablutions), parking area, and public access; Marina structures and associated utilities; Exclusive occupation of the coastal marine area; Hard protection structures including rock retaining walls along the eastern side of the marina basin and adjacent to existing boatshed to the south and a rock armoured batter slope along the northern edge adjacent to bridge; Capital and maintenance dredging to provide for the construction and maintenance of the proposed marina basin and batter slopes; and Mangrove removal from within the footprint of the reclamation and the marina basin.
The application also seeks consents for the following activities: Incidental discharges associated with dredging, dredge spoil disposal and other activities that disturb the foreshore and seabed; Diversion and discharge of storm water and decant water from the reclamation during its construction and ongoing operation; Land-based disposal of dredge spoil on the Bell Block adjacent to Kissing Point Marina; and discharge of contaminants (leachate) to land from the deposition of dredge spoil.
The proposal provides for a formed public access along the eastern edge of the reclamation as a link with the existing Hātea Loop walkway.
Consents required from Northland Regional Council
APP.039825.01.01 – Reclaim 4550m2 of the coastal marine area.
APP.039825.02.01 – Place, use and occupy space in the coastal marine area with a marina development (including piers, finger piers, piles and associated vessel berths; access ramps; Utility services including electricity and water on the marina structures and a sewage pump-out facility).
APP.039825.03.01 – Occupy part of the coastal marine area to the exclusion of others.
APP.039825.04.01 – Place use and occupy space in the coastal marine area and on land with hard protection structures.
APP.039825.05.01 – Capital dredging in the coastal marine area to establish a marina basin.
APP.039825.06.01 – Deposit dredge spoil in the coastal marine area to form a reclamation.
APP.039825.07.01 – Maintenance dredging of a marina basin.
APP.039825.801 – Remove mangroves from the coastal marine area
APP.039825.09.01 – Incidental discharges to the Hātea River associated with disturbance of the seabed due to dredging, mangrove removal and the transport and transfer of dredged spoil.
APP.039825.10.01 – Divert and discharge stormwater, and dredge spoil decant water, from a reclamation.
APP.039825.11.01 – Deposit dredged spoil to land at an existing dredging disposal site known as “the Bell Block”.
APP.039825.12.01 – Discharge contaminants (leachate) to land from deposition of dredge spoil.
Consents required from Whangarei District Council
LU1800032 – Land Use Consent for Marina activities on the proposed reclamation.
Application reference numbers
Northland Regional Council - APP.039825.01.01
Whangarei District Council - LU1800032
- Application and AEE - pages 001 - 149 (PDF, 4.3MB)
- Application and AEE - pages 150 - 264 (PDF, 4.9MB)
- Application and AEE - pages 264 - 294 (PDF 3.8MB)
- Application and AEE - pages 295 - 348 (PDF, 6.9MB)
- Application and AEE - pages 349 - 394 (PDF, 6.5MB)
- Application and AEE - pages 395 - 446 (PDF, 6.6MB)
- Application and AEE - pages 447 - 486 (PDF, 7.1MB)
- Application and AEE - pages 487 - 520 (PDF, 3.6MB)
- Application and AEE - pages 521 - 671 (PDF, 5.1MB)
- 4Sight Consulting - Response to Peer Review Report (PDF, 2MB)
- Hawthorn Geddes engineers and architects ltd - response to hydraulic analysis peer review (PDF, 4.6MB)
- Notified staff report (PDF, 10MB)
Applicant's Evidence for Pre-Circulation
- Statement of Evidence of B L Hood (PDF, 640KB)
- Statement of Evidence of D Botica (PDF, 770KB)
- Statement of Evidence of J Blackburn (PDF, 654KB)
- Statement of Evidence of M Poynter (PDF, 72KB)
- Statement of Evidence of S J Cocker (PDF, 170KB)
Documents tabled at the hearing
- Hearing - Tabled document - Legal submission - Sarah Shaw (PDF, 850KB)
- Hearing - Tabled document - Summary of Evidence - B Hood (PDF, 250KB)
- Hearing - Tabled document - Statement - A Peet (PDF, 6MB)
- Hearing - Tabled document - Statement of Evidence - A Hartstone (PDF, 310KB)
- Hearing - Tabled document - Diagrams tabled by J Blackburn (PDF, 1.7MB)