Submissions on this resource consent application have closed
Douglas Craig Schmuck
Richardson Street and at Walls Bay, Opua
Phone: 09 470 1200
Freephone: 0800 002 004
The application seeks new resource consents and early replacement of existing resource consents for activities associated with Doug's Opua Boat Yard in Walls Bay, Opua.
Replacement consents have been sought for the existing structures (including a jetty facility, slipway, a dinghy ramp, a workboat mooring and dinghy pull, timber and stone seawalls), the discharge of contaminants to coastal marine area (CMA), discharges to land and air associated with vessel maintenance activities, stormwater discharges, maintenance dredging, exclusive occupation and use of the CMA and use of the structures for vessel maintenance and chartering activities.
New resource consents are sought for activities associated with the proposed upgrade of the boat yard facilities including demolition and reconstruction of the jetty facility, the placement of two mudcrete grids, refurbishment of the slipway and use of two of the jetty facility berths as a marina. Consents are also sought for placement of a new 40 metre length of seawall, and disturbance of the foreshore during demolition and construction activities and beach rehabilitation. New capital and maintenance dredging is proposed to form five all-tide vessel berths and an approach channel to the jetty facility and slipway.
- Place and occupy space in the coastal marine area with a reconstructed jetty facility (including fixed jetty, gangway pontoon and piles and two mudcrete grids, signage and hoardings).
- Place use and occupy space in the CMA with a refurbished slipway, turning block and associated cabling.
- Occupy space in the coastal marine area associated with a jetty facility and slipway to the exclusion of others.
- Use the slipway and jetty facility structures and three work berth areas for purposes of vessel maintenance and chartering and two berths associated with the jetty facility pontoon as a marina.
- Place use and occupy space in the coastal marine area with a new seawall and existing seawalls (inclusive of existing reclamation associated with the existing seawall).
- Use and occupy space in the coastal marine area with a dinghy ramp.
- Use and occupy space in the coastal marine area with storm water culverts
- Use and occupy space with a workboat mooring and associated dinghy pull.
- Disturb the foreshore and seabed during demolition and removal of unwanted structures, jetty reconstruction and slipway refurbishment, seawall construction, and during beach refurbishment activities.
- Capital dredging to form five all-tide berths alongside the jetty facility and an approach channel (and batters) to the jetty facility and slipway.
- Maintenance dredging to maintain vessel berths, and approach channel and batters to the slipway and jetty facility.
- Discharge vessel wash down water to the coastal marine area.
- Discharge contaminants to air in the coastal marine area from vessel maintenance activities.
- Discharge contaminants to air from vessel maintenance activities.
- Discharge contaminants to land from vessel maintenance activities.
- Discharge stormwater to an unnamed tributary of the Veronica Channel.
- Discharge stormwater to the coastal marine area.
Type of consent
Coastal Permits, Coastal Discharge, Discharges to air, Discharge to land, Storm water Discharges
Hard copies of the application documents may be inspected at the Northland Regional Council's offices at Whangarei, Opua and Waipapa.
Please note the large file size of some of these documents
- Schmuck - Application part 1 (PDF, 4MB)
- Schmuck - Application part 2 (PDF, 5.6MB)
- Schmuck - Application part 2a (PDF, 4.4MB)
- Schmuck - Application part 3 (PDF, 2.6MB)
- Schmuck - Application forms and letters (PDF, 1.9MB)
- Plans (PDF, 600KB)
- Application further information (PDF, 500KB)
- Additional Information - Ecological Survey (PDF, 1.9MB)
- Updated plans for application - Showing additional detail of existing and proposed structures and extent of works (PDF, 1.2MB)
- Notified Staff Report s42A (PDF, 3.8MB)
- D C Schmuck - APP.039650.01.01 - Addendum to S42A Report - Final (PDF, 1.7MB)
- Hearing - Minute No. 1 (PDF, 428KB)
- Hearing - Minute No. 2 (PDF, 88KB)
- Hearing - Minute No. 3 (PDF, 84 KB)
- Hearing - Minute No. 4 (PDF, 84 KB)
- Hearing - Minute No. 5 (PDF, 109KB)
- Hearing - Minute No. 6A (PDF, 93KB)
Applicant's Evidence for Pre-Circulation
In accordance with the instructions of Minute No. 1, please find below two plans provided by the applicant for pre-circulation. An explanation of the plans is provided below.
- Total Marine plan 0155-0504-0007 Rev G, dated 2/05/18, which replicates the Discharge Boundaries as shown on NRC 4804/4 but is drawn to scale and correctly identifies the location of the relevant areas/facilities.
Plan - discharge boundaries 02 -05-18 (PDF, 180KB)
- Total Marine plan 0155-0504-0006 Rev G, dated 2/05/18, showing the Shellfish Bed sub-surface erosion barrier.
Plan - shellfish bed erosion barrier 02-05-18 (PDF, 145KB)
Submitter's Evidence for Pre-Circulation
- Additional evidence - M Marks (PDF, 890KB)
- Evidence submitted by M Rashbrooke - A - Miscellaneous Documents (PDF, 1.7MB)
- Evidence submitted by M Rashbrooke - B - Support Documents Re Further Submission (PDF, 1.5MB)
- Evidence submitted by M Rashbrooke - C - NRC Correspondence (PDF, 4.4MB)
- Evidence submitted by M Rashbrooke - D - FNDC Correspondence (PDF, 3.4MB)
- Evidence submitted by M Rashbrooke - E - Summary of Ongoing Issues 2004 - Present both Councils (PDF, 1.9MB)
- Evidence submitted by M Rashbrooke - Photos (PDF, 8.6MB)
- Expert Evidence - Jane Johnston (PDF, 380KB)
- Expert Evidence - John Booth - submitted by M Marks (PDF, 100KB)
- Ngati Kuta ki Te Rawhiti letter of support for M Marks (PDF, 346KB)
- Video submitted by M Marks (MOV, 9.7MB)
- Video submitted by M Rashbrooke (MOV, 566MB)
Documents Tabled at the Hearing
- 1 - Submissions of Counsel for the Applicant (PDF, 3.1MB)
- 2 - 4Sight Correspondence (PDF, 914KB)
- 3 - Applicants correspondence with R Watters (1.4MB)
- 4 - Plan showing Radius of Fall and 6 - Wind Speed (PDF, 210KB)
- 5 - Moorings Northland Letter (PDF, 163KB)
- 7 - Thompson Survey Plan (PDF, 708KB)
- 8 - Statement of D Schmuck (PDF, 3.6MB)
- 9 - Photograph from D Schmuck (PDF 1.03)
- 11 - CV submitted by D Schmuck (PDF,60KB)
- 12 - Submission tabled by D Dysart (PDF, 4.3MB)
- 13 - Submission tabled by W Kearney (PDF, 59KB)
- 14 - Submission by P Nobbs (PDF, 45KB)
- 15 - Submission by M Marks (PDF,264KB)
- 16 - Great Escapes flyer submitted by J Kidman (PDF, 3.1MB)
- 17 - Submission by P Sharp (PDF, 4.3MB)
- 18 - Plans and photos submitted by P Clark (PDF, 3.48MB)
- 19 - Photos submitted by M Larcombe - Part 1 (PDF, 4.9MB)
- 19 - Photos submitted by M Larcombe - Part 2 (PDF, 5.4MB)
- 20 - Submission by M Rashbrooke (PDF, 1.69MB)
- 21 - Statement by A Kryiak (PDF, 1.35MB)
- 22 - Newspaper article submitted by J Johnston (PDF, 753KB)
- 23 - District Plan Map submitted by J Johnston (PDF, 1.10MB)
- 24 - Companies office information submitted by J Johnston (PDF, 719KB)
- 25 - Speaking notes by J Johnston (PDF, 391KB)
- 26 - Updated plans submitted by the Applicant (PDF, 4.91MB)
- Speaking Notes - Mr A Atkinson (PDF, 1.95MB)
Documents Tabled at the Reconvened Hearing
- 1a - Submission of Counsel for the Applicant (PDF,1.1MB)
- 2a - Total Marine Report dated 15-08-2018 (PDF, 274KB)
- 4a - Doug's Opua Boat Yard - As Built Discharge Containment Structures and Systems dated 14-08-2018 (PDF, 2.1MB)
- 5a - Further Submission by M Larcombe (PDF, 2.3MB)
- 6a - W Kearney - Memorandum (PDF, 47KB)
- 7a - Further Submission by A Kyriak (PDF, 2.2MB)
- 8a - Further Submission by M Marks (PDF, 75KB)
- 9a - Further Submission by D Dysart (PDF, 3.6MB)
- 10a - Further Submission by T Atkinson (PDF, 855KB)
- 11a - Further Submission by P Clarke (PDF, 2.4MB)
- 12a - J Johnston Speaking Notes (PDF, 1.6MB)
- 14a - Further Submission by M Rashbrooke (PDF, 1MB)
- 15a - Doug's Opua Boat Yard Plans dated 17-08-2018 (PDF, 432KB)
- 18a - Doug's Opua Boat Yard - Propose Grid Works in CMA with a Controlled 'CTS' Pump (PDF, 396KB)
- 19a - Council's Reporting Officer's - Right of Reply (PDF, 167KB)
- 20a - Revised Consent Conditions dated 15-08-2018 (PDF, 2.8KB)
- 21a - Safely using Anti-Fouling Paints flyer (PDF, 1.9MB)