Weather and warnings
MetService weather warnings
Visit the MetService website for details of current weather information and warnings.
What to do in a storm
The National Emergency Management Agency advises that as storms approach you should:
- Take shelter, preferably indoors away from windows;
- Avoid sheltering under trees, if outside;
- Move cars under cover or away from trees;
- Secure any loose objects around your property;
- Check that drains and gutters are clear;
- Be ready to slow down or stop, if driving.
During and after the storm, you should also:
- Beware of fallen trees and power lines;
- Avoid streams and drains as you may be swept away in flash flooding.
Tsunami advisory or warnings
Find information on tsunami sirens and evacuation maps for Northland coastal areas.
Other tsunami warning information
Visit the National Emergency Management Agency website for warning information.
View live tsunami data from the GeoNet website
River and rainfall data
You can view data collected daily from our rainfall and river monitoring sites around Northland. During heavy rainfall and flood events, we update our data every two hours.
View river and rainfall data
Who to contact
Find out who to contact and where to get information on road closures, emergency radio stations and tide times.