Welfare and Assistance

Affected by the cyclone? Do you need help?

If you live in the Northland region and have been affected by the cyclone you may be eligible for assistance if you need it.

Here is a list of services and agencies that are available to help you and your whānau. The type and amount of assistance available will differ depending on your needs and situation.

Mayoral relief funds

Far North District Council - Mayoral Relief Fund:

Kaipara District Council - Mayoral Relief Fund:

Whangarei District Council - Mayoral Relief Fund:

Assistance and information - District councils

If you need information, assistance or to report urgent cyclone-related issues, here are the key contact details for each district.

Recovery grants and funding

Farmers, growers and whenua Māori landowners significantly affected by Cyclone Gabrielle can now get recovery grants.

The Government is providing $25 million for recovery grants to help undertake urgent work, including fencing, and clearing silt to save fruit trees and vines. For further details, or to apply go to:

Evacuation centres

If you feel you need to leave your current location, we recommend you go to friends and whānau in the first instance, as it’s usually more comfortable than being in an evacuation centre.

If you are unable to safely relocate, please see options below.

In an emergency requiring a need for Civil Defence and community led centres to be activated, their locations and other important information is communicated via radio, council websites and Facebook.

Civil Defence Centres

These centres are managed by local district councils and are equipped to provide you with a safe place to eat, sleep and access essential support services.

Community led centres

These centres are managed by the community and can be located at marae, in local churches or community halls. They are not run by Civil Defence Northland, they are opened and managed by the community with guidance from district councils.

If you’d like to know the locations of open evacuation centres in your area, please call your local district council or check their Facebook page for the latest information.

Support Service Directory – Hearts & Minds Tai Tokerau

This directory is your pathway to the support and resources available in your local community. Services listed include Community Information and Resources, Crisis and Emergency Disability/Special Needs, Hardship Support including foodbanks, Counselling/ Support and many more.


Māori community / Iwi support

Civil Defence Emergency Management Groups are working alongside marae, hapū, iwi and Māori community groups across the region. To be connected in with the appropriate person or agency for advice and support please contact Carol Manukau, Te Kahu O Taonui – Email: [email protected] or Phone 021 025 98435.

Business support

Find useful information for businesses who may be affected by flooding, storm or cyclone damage in Northland.


Animal welfare

If you are concerned about your animals or pets, contact your veterinarian in the first instance. If you need to report an animal welfare issue or have an animal welfare query, contact Ministry Primary Industries (MPI) animal welfare team: 0800 008 333. If you need assistance or advice on farm, please contact the Rural Support Trust for advice: 0800 787 254.

MPI feed co-ordination service: www.mpi.govt.nz/news/media-releases/feed-coordination-service-launched-for-farmers-hit-by-cyclone


If your home, car, or contents have been damaged by the severe weather please contact your insurance company. Many household insurance policies will also cover commercial accommodation if you have to leave your home due to damage.

The insurance council has some good information for landlords, renters, and business.

Victim support

Victim Support can deliver 24 hours, seven days a week support services to help people recover from the stress and trauma brought on by the storm.

To find out more call 0800 VICTIM (842 846).